Skip to main content

Local Omnoms - Chee Cheong Fun & Fa Sang Wu (with mah chee/mua chee/mochi)

What better way to start a new blog than to dedicate the first post to food?
Anyway, my friends and I (more like my friend who decided to go eat chee cheong fun, and I + others just went along with it) went to Pasir Pinji to have ourselves some yummeh local delicacies.

Two of my other friends and I were surprised when we arrived at our destination. The stall was located in the porch of a house! There were cars parked along the sides of the already narrow road, which made it somewhat difficult to navigate through, but it was worth it. We dropped a friend off to get a NUMBER (like whoa, a number?!) for the food. Apparently this place is reaaalllyyy popular for chee cheong fun/ccf (I didn't know, okay). There were a few people standing -- waiting for their turn to order and a few tables with happy people with their food. Thanks to the friend for getting a number, our turn was just about 4 numbers away from being served.

Chee Cheong Fun is rice noodle roll and the way it is served and eaten varies depending on where you are exactly. As far as I know, the Ipoh variety typically serves in chili, mushroom sauce, or plain 'ol soy sauce. Just google it and you'll have a plethora of information to read through.
This particular vendor is located at Jalan Pasir Pinji 5. For those who have not heard about this particular famous stall, just ask around and I'm sure any local will point you in the right direction.



Each of us ordered a small plate and some liew to share; the fish balls (for those who don't know, liew is typically fried stuff, mostly fish? I apologize for my lack of knowledge in this T__T I just eat.) It's RM 1.80 for a small plate. But I couldn't even finish mine so, I guess the large is A LOT more. Unsure of the plate of fish balls though.
We had some otak-otak as well, but failed to take a picture (because I dug in HAHA) My friend discreetly paid for our food so.. I don't really know how much they cost too. My bad.

After ccf, we decided to go have some fa sang wu. It's a groundnut dessert-soup thing, except that it's hot.


Also a stall in front of a house, it's located about a block away from the ccf place (Jalan Queen). This dessert goes very well with machi/muachi/mochi -- gluttonous rice flour with crushed peanuts, sugar and sesame seeds:


As the fa sang wu is not really sweet, dipping this in it is the perfect accompaniment to the dessert. The sweetness from the sugar coupled with the thick consistency makes it the perfect combo.
A bowl of fa sang wu (last I checked) is RM2.50. While a plate of mah chee is RM 2.00 -- my friend quickly paid before I could.

So, yes! If you're in Ipoh and fancy some chee cheong fun and some delicious dessert, drop by these two places!:

PASIR PINJI CHEE CHEONG FUN
Address: House No 1456, Jalan Pasir Pinji 5, 31650 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.
Business hours : About 1.15pm, until the CCF finishes (around 4pm). Opens only on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.
Pricing: (Small) RM 1.80, (Large) RM 2.50, (Anything more than Large) RM 3.00.

Hong Kee Fa Sang Woo
Address: 550A, Jalan Queen, Pasir Pinji, Ipoh, 31650, Ipoh, Perak, 31650, Malaysia.
Phone: +60 12-382 8651
Business hours – 1.00pm – 6.00pm daily. Closed on Thursdays.
Pricing: (fa sang wu) RM 2.50, (mah chee/mua chee/mochi) RM 2.00.

Disclaimer: Pictures are taken from my friend, and some of the info (address, pricing and other information are taken from "Motormouth from Ipoh"

Note: I apologise for the lack of photographs. Also, if I have provided any wrong information, do comment so I can amend this. Thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are three things I realised during these couple of days. One: Cooking Mama is available on Android! Imagine to my utter delight that this DS game would be playable on my phone! I've wanted a DS at one point just to play Cooking Mama because, hello, you can cook stuff without looking like a total idiot in the kitchen and burning it down?! I kid. I'm not entirely hopeless in the kitchen, more of the opposite actually *coughselfpraisecough*. Anyway, I would suppose the game's language settings are set to the one your phone's UI is in, but it also allows you to choose which languages you want the game to be in. Of course, Japanese is one of them (duh). The game is free, but (so far) recipes are bought by cash, and they ain't cheap. They come in a bundle of  about six or more recipes that you can cook and combine  with. Yes, combine. Now you can be the Michelin Star chef you've always wanted to be (or not). Since this game is relatively new, I don...

An Adventure Awaits!

It's been pretty hectic over the past few days, and now that I finally have some time to breathe , let me hand you some updates. Last Friday was my last day at work and boy did the girlies prepare a wholesome feast! Also I had a chance to try this yummeh thing: Beautiful cheese. Nanda Chicken, 11, Jalan Solaris 2, Solaris Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Just a note, if you like spicy stuff, this is your place. I was dying with level 1 spice. So proceed with caution and don't think you won't shit fire, cuz you might. You can thank me later. Me when I see cheese on my food.  Two things make me an incredibly happy person like in the picture above: 1) Korean food 2) karaoke. There's this Korean place called  in PV128 at Wangsa Maju that serves unlimited supply  of Korean food for the price of either RM25, or RM30. Most of its patrons go for the more expensive option since it appears to be more worth of it...

帰りたい

Have you ever felt this intense urge in your heart, this longing in your soul to go somewhere --  to return to a place you don't physically call home? It's been more than a month since I went to Japan. Suffice to say, I felt what I mentioned above at Haneda airport while counting down the minutes to my departure back to England. New and old friends patiently waited with me as I queued up to checked-in, ate with me my last Japanese dinner bought at the convenience store, and took an abundance of digital memories. These things made it all the more difficult to let go and leave. I put on a smile, wide enough that even my own consciousness is fooled, laughed loudly, assuring myself and the others that I will be back the following year -- the same promise I made the previous year. But life is unexpected and plans are ephemeral. The inital aim of this post was to reflect on my time in Japan (which was no less exciting as the previous time), but I guess it ended up sounding a litt...