Skip to main content

It's week 3 already?! (+post-quake)

A super overdue post! Sorry about that guys. It's been a busy three weeks since I arrived with all the language studying, settling in, meetings, and events happening. Anyway, let's get to it.

Here's a quick update on what's happened after right my previous post:

  • Electricity came back at around 8:30 pm the following day (thank God!)
  • Supermarkets & convenience stores were constantly cleared out of their fresh goods (eggs, rice, noodles, milk, meat, fish). 
  • Most shops had remained closed in case of strong aftershocks
  • Japanese classes were post-phoned until the following week
  • Most other areas in Hokkaido, especially those closer to the epicentre still did not have electricity, water, gas
  • Damages in the city (Sapporo) - roads ruined, some trees uprooted, parts of buildings fell off
You can see the hospital lit up in the distance

Dinner time was quite romantic if you can imagine.



Well, it's been a couple of weeks and I can say that life is now back to normal. 今生活がだんだん普通に戻りました。Roads have been fixed, shelves have been restocked with fresh food, and shops are back in business. I mean, it's been two weeks, but it's as if the earthquake hadn't happened. Well, to me at least.

Some photos collected over the past weeks--

Not enough vitamins in your body, no problem!

Weather is always good here for some reason

/Sharp intake of breath - hyperventilates/

Why use a stove when you can use this cute, little thing

No points given if you can figure this out.

Tokyu Hands has really interesting stuff

Like this whole range of Fullmetal Alchemist stationary

... and leather section

... and stickers of numerous variety to spruce up your boring looking laptop, etc.

Road trip!

The famous Otaru canal, plus a boat.

Fish cake factory - Kaimaei
Really delicious stuff!

The shopping district isn't usually this quiet. But thanks to the earthquake, we could shop in peace.

"We will take care of Father (your husband/dad)" when you go shopping.

What is Otaru without its seafood?

I spent 500 yen on cheese drizzled karaage. 

Reminiscent of Le Petit Prince

There was a bare tree/plant(?) that had little sparkly jewel-like decorations adorning its branches.
Pretty-looking thing.

It's bigger than it looks. And probably the culprit behind all the huge poop bombs on cars we spotted.

The man behind Hokkaido University (1876) - William S. Clark
They also have their own brew of alcohol & biscuits. Top that!

The oldest building in Hokkaido Uni (1901). Once used for entomology, it is now used by medical students.
Close enough. 

Monkshood or Wolf's Bane - once used as poison on the tips of spears and arrows.
Good thing this isn't a thing anymore.

"I AM BEAUTIFUL. FEAR ME." 

Finally tested my phone camera's night scene feature.

Ton Ton is 16 years old.

Mini volleyball was founded in Hokkaido and isn't played outside of Japan.

More curry rice!

More students!

Respect for the elders day!

So I asked around whether this was a horse or a donkey.
It is a horse.

More food!

I took the guys shopping.
I only got one article of clothing. The rest in the two bags were theirs.

Soup curry - another local delicacy of Sapporo.
This one's with bacon, sausage, and cheese

House party! Feelin' like a uni student again.



Living the shojo manga life. (Was legit rushing though.)

Gravity Research
Rock climbing at Sapporo Factory Mall - 1500 yen for students, 1800 yen regular price

My arms and fingers have now been rendered useless after several climbs.

Some good ol' okonomiyaki

Yas.

I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks. Somehow it still feels surreal being here? Compared to when I first went to the UK, it's taking me more time to settle down. I keep asking myself, "when are you going to get used to living here?" Well, at least I'm finally getting some decent, undisturbed sleep. The past nights have been filled with vivid dreams that made me really tired when I woke up, like my brain had just ran a triathlon overnight, not to mention the earthquake and aftershocks.

Language wise, I'm slowly learning to speak by listening and picking up on sentence patterns and frequently-used words. I have to say, I am terrible at studying. Somehow I can't seem to apply the stuff I've been learning in my classes. And I feel really disappointed about that. I guess it doesn't really help that I attend two separate places for language study, and have had different teachers every time, でも偶然みたいな。It could be coincidence that I keep getting different teachers (and ending up jumping back and forth across chapters here and there) - I have yet to see the significance of this happening.

But otherwise, living here has been really fun and exciting. The temperature is slowly descending into Autumn with every rainfall, leaves and beginning to turn fiery red, and the wind is as strong as ever.

Can't wait for October. Lot's of work and fun to look forward to in the new semester!

Though, I really wanna go karaoke. Kinda miss all my belting Korean songs.

For now, signing off.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Settling In + Hokkaido Earthquake Updates

It's been such a busy three days that I couldn't really sit down and write this post! Monday After I landed, I took a bus from New Chitose Airport to Sapporo. I was supposed to get off at Asabu station (2nd last stop), but silly me decided to get off at the final stop. If you saw my insta story, you'd have seen that I took a taxi, but whooh, my anxiety climbed as the meter rate went from 600+ yen to 1000+ yen. That's like, RM30+ for a 10 minute ride, guys. Of course, getting a taxi as opposed to, say, walking would be the wiser option if you have 45kg worth of luggage to carry around with you, like me. From the airport They use RFID here for their tolls. No obstructing poles.  The setting for most anime/manga; high rise mansions (or are they apartments? I still can't tell the difference yet) "Mansions" are not fancy bungalows for crazy rich asians. They're just better & pricier apartments. somewhere in Sappor...
I'm at the age where I see friends; senior and junior to me, get married, have kids-- basically moving on to the next phase in life: familyhood (is that even a word?). Me? I still think like a twenty-year-old, like a slightly older teenager living in a shell of a supposed adult. Not sure if that's a good thing. It probably isn't. It feels like a lifetime ago when my mentor spoke to me for over an hour one day, and her words sliced through me like a hot knife through hard, stubborn butter. "A little kid who doesn't know anything is cute in our eyes. But an adult who doesn't know how to act like one is unsightly." In other words, she was telling me to act my age. And I was like, what's a 26-year-old supposed to act like?? Good question. It's one I've been asking for a long time. Apparently, I was immature, insensitive, and in a way, selfish. All aspects you'd find in a little 5 year old. This was more than a year ago. I often wonder i...