Skip to main content

Europe tour - Amsterdam

We left the hotel this morning at 4.30am by taxi. It was cold and drab - a typical London morning. Then we headed for the Trafalgar Reception on York Road. Unexpectedly met a friend from uni whom I thought would be attending the Europe tour with us, but unfortunately not so. Anyway, we left a little after 5.30 am and headed for Dover. 


I'm not sure how long it took us, but it was definitely a shorter trip from London than from Nottingham. There's about 54 people on this tour, mostly Americans, a family of what I'd reckon are Indonesians and a pair of mother and daughter from the Philippines? A rough assumption. Anyway, yes, Americans - it's interesting listening to them talk, it's like listening to an American show on the tele, except they're right behind you and in the flesh. #jakunmoment
From Dover, we took a ferry - Pride of Kent - to Calais, France where we switched buses. 


Calais

Boy is the driver good looking. He looks rather young, about late twenties, is Dutch, speaks French and a dialect of Dutch (which I don't remember what it's called) and some English. Plus, he wears a nice navy suit with a tie and sunglasses. Nice. Our tour director, Howard, is also Dutch (who sounded extremely proud of his country as he took us on a verbal history and cultural tour of his nation) is not as young but he seems very experienced in his field of work.
After passing Dunkerque, we headed north east along the coast to Belgium. We basically only stayed in France territory for half an hour. After briefly passing through said country, we emerged to the Kingdom of Netherlands! (As Howard proudly puts it several times in his explanation) we took a pit stop at a R&R after a 2 & 1/2 hour ride, (photos on facebook) and grabbed some grub. 


The place looked amazing! There were fresh fruits everywhere (even as deco) the pastries looked delicious, and fruit juices were fresh. Unfortunately we could only stay for 30 minutes including toilet time (super long queue). We managed to get some pastries and a drink but quickly packed them into my grandma's backpack as we couldn't eat in the bus (except for light snacks). Netherlands's landscape is mainly flat with plenty of farmland where fat cows, horses, sheep and the occasional pigs graze.




1 & 1/2 hours later, we passed through Amsterdam's borders! The weather was gorgeous with bright blue skies accompanied by a cool breeze. Perfect weather for touring in the Spring.
We checked into The Golden Tulip Hotel, 5 star I'd reckon, or maybe 4. The rooms were fancy despite it's tight space. And an even better plus, free wifi! (Side note: I kinda hate how I can't seem to live without wifi).


We were given these red things, a Vox radio? Those things tourists wear with ear pieces. Anyway, we headed for a paid excursion, roughly €28 for a canal cruise and a walk through the city with a local tour guide.
We walked through the red light district and damn are the ladies scary. No one is allowed to snap photographs, for obvious reasons, of course. One girl from our group was taking a picture of a mural between the windows and one of the ladies stormed out with a whip in hand swearing, just when my grandma and I walked past. You could say my grandma was shocked and stared as I hurriedly pulled her past without batting an eyelash. We also walked past numerous 'coffee shops', one such chain being The Bulldog. My grandma was shocked that such businesses were open like that. There's lots of graffiti that adorn the old red bricked walls. Bicycles fill the streets as well, I'd think even more than Paris has. It's crazy! 

Not as many cars as well, obviously because of the many narrow roads. Lots of house boats along the canals as well. Some were formally boats, while some were built on more solid foundation (still) on the water. It really is like Venice! 



The canal cruise lasted an hour. My dad went trigger happy with the camera lol.
Anyway, the canal tour ended just around dinner time, and we were allowed to have dinner on our own. We sorta picked between two restaurants and even switched (shameless asians). After we settled down and ordered, guess who we bumped into? Jane and her parents! 


We go way back in primary school and church. It was strange how we never met in the UK, but met here of all places. We had our "ahhh!" moments, snapped a few pictures and bade goodbye. Dinner came and we had spaghetti, (dry) half a roast chicken which we thought was rather small and bolognese spaghetti. Towards the end of our meal, around 9pm, it started to drizzle, which then turned into a sudden pour. It lasted about a minute or two then subsided into a light drizzle again. We left for our superawesome hotel at 9.30pm and I indulged myself with the shower and the entire bathroom. The floor was heated too!

Tomorrow we'll be having an early start and heading off to Germany, specifically Cologne and Rhineland.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

There are three things I realised during these couple of days. One: Cooking Mama is available on Android! Imagine to my utter delight that this DS game would be playable on my phone! I've wanted a DS at one point just to play Cooking Mama because, hello, you can cook stuff without looking like a total idiot in the kitchen and burning it down?! I kid. I'm not entirely hopeless in the kitchen, more of the opposite actually *coughselfpraisecough*. Anyway, I would suppose the game's language settings are set to the one your phone's UI is in, but it also allows you to choose which languages you want the game to be in. Of course, Japanese is one of them (duh). The game is free, but (so far) recipes are bought by cash, and they ain't cheap. They come in a bundle of  about six or more recipes that you can cook and combine  with. Yes, combine. Now you can be the Michelin Star chef you've always wanted to be (or not). Since this game is relatively new, I don...

An Adventure Awaits!

It's been pretty hectic over the past few days, and now that I finally have some time to breathe , let me hand you some updates. Last Friday was my last day at work and boy did the girlies prepare a wholesome feast! Also I had a chance to try this yummeh thing: Beautiful cheese. Nanda Chicken, 11, Jalan Solaris 2, Solaris Mont Kiara, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur Just a note, if you like spicy stuff, this is your place. I was dying with level 1 spice. So proceed with caution and don't think you won't shit fire, cuz you might. You can thank me later. Me when I see cheese on my food.  Two things make me an incredibly happy person like in the picture above: 1) Korean food 2) karaoke. There's this Korean place called  in PV128 at Wangsa Maju that serves unlimited supply  of Korean food for the price of either RM25, or RM30. Most of its patrons go for the more expensive option since it appears to be more worth of it...

帰りたい

Have you ever felt this intense urge in your heart, this longing in your soul to go somewhere --  to return to a place you don't physically call home? It's been more than a month since I went to Japan. Suffice to say, I felt what I mentioned above at Haneda airport while counting down the minutes to my departure back to England. New and old friends patiently waited with me as I queued up to checked-in, ate with me my last Japanese dinner bought at the convenience store, and took an abundance of digital memories. These things made it all the more difficult to let go and leave. I put on a smile, wide enough that even my own consciousness is fooled, laughed loudly, assuring myself and the others that I will be back the following year -- the same promise I made the previous year. But life is unexpected and plans are ephemeral. The inital aim of this post was to reflect on my time in Japan (which was no less exciting as the previous time), but I guess it ended up sounding a litt...